Wednesday 21 September 2011

Degu cage - Shelves

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to show everyone that I have built and installed the shelves (or levels) of the degu cage. Below are some pictures of the steps I used.

As you can see below, I have the shelf already cut (I had this done previously when I had all my peices cut) and I have trimmed off the 4 corners so it fits inside the cage around the (inner) frame.

I have used a jigsaw to cut 2 holes into the shelf at the back, this way the degus can get from level to level.

In the middle I have bolted 2 strips of pine down. My "divider panel" will slide in between these 2 strips, this gives the degus an equal share of the cage without being able to get to each other.


In the picture below my "divider panel" has a large rectangular hole in the middle. This will be covered in mesh so the degus can see each other but not attack each other.
 

I then attach two long panels of pine wood onto the front of the shelf. This will keep the bedding in. I bolted two strips of pine wood frame to the front and then bolted my two pine wood panels to them.


This is what the finished product looks like:


I then had a friend hold the shelf in place while i drilled the holes through the side and into the frame underneath the shelf. We then bolted everything together.

Below are some pictures of the shelves inside the cage.





Many thanks everyone, keep an eye, more updates to come!

Smithomatic

No comments:

Post a Comment